[R] Reading one column .csv file

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 22:26:35 CEST 2012

There is nothing weird about it if you look at the structure of the CSV file:

IQ Scores,
145,
101,
123,
106,
117,
102,
139,
142,
94,

Notice that there is an extra comma that EXCEL is inserting and
therefore when you are reading it in to R, it assumes there is an
unnamed column that it calls "X":

> x <- read.csv('clipboard')
> str(x)
'data.frame':   60 obs. of  2 variables:
 $ IQ.Scores: int  145 101 123 106 117 102 139 142 94 124 ...
 $ X        : logi  NA NA NA NA NA NA ...

So file a bug report with Microsoft on the way Excel writes CSV files;
R is interpreting them correctly.