[R] multiple boxplots on the same figure - reducing space in between

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Thu Aug 16 19:18:24 CEST 2012

Hello,

Without data, I've made up my own. Try the following.

x <- rnorm(100)
y <- rnorm(100)

bp <- boxplot(x, y, range = 0, names=c("One","Two"))
bx <- bxp(bp, horizontal=TRUE, boxwex = 0.15, at = c(1, 1 + 2*0.15))
bx

Note that in the call to boxplot you only need the arguments that affect
the returned value.
See ?boxplot, section Value.
And that without the argument 'at' to bxp, its returned value would be
 > bx
[1] 1 2

(See also ?bxp)
You can make the code more readable with something like

bwex <- 0.15

and then use it wherever it's needed.

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas