[R] months in circular

garciap garciap at usal.es
Sat Aug 18 13:32:28 CEST 2012

Hi to people in the forum,

I'm doing some circular statistics in the package circular. My data is in
hours and in months, and hours are easily recognised in the functions.
However, it is not the case of months having only 12 potential values.  I'm
thinking in transform the data by dividing the circunference into 12
sections and then assign each month the average value of the section. For
example, January will be represented by the value 15º, and June by the value
165.

Is this approach adequate? Any alternative suggestion on how to transform
the data of months in a circular variable.

Really many thanks, best regards

Pablo