[R] Origin of coordinate system

Richard Müller mueller.eisborn at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 23 08:19:30 CEST 2012

Dear R-community,

In graphical representations of findings concerning bodies of standing
water (lakes e.g.) in x-y-plots you often make use of a somewhat
different definition of coordinates in a cartesian system:
the origin is top-left, the x-axis (depth of the water body) from top
to bottom and the f(x)-axis from left to right, so you can project the
graphical representation of data in your imagination into the lake.

I wasn't able to find out if this is possible in R-plots of x-y-data.
I can treat the values, which are the x-values  as y-values and vice
versa. In simple plots that gives what I want (with the direction of
the vertical axis from top to down with e.g. ylim = c(60,0). But I am
not content with this. y is f(x) and not the other way round! I think,
when I start with error bars or similar, I will get in trouble.
Therefore my simple question: can I define a coordinate system with
(0,0) in the upper left and the x- and y-axis as I described?

Thanks for your answers - Richard

--
Richard Müller . Am Spring 9 . D-58802 Balve
www.oeko-sorpe.de