[R] moving distance between two sets of data

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Aug 20 01:52:27 CEST 2012

On Aug 19, 2012, at 4:34 PM, White, William Patrick wrote:

> Also it occurred to me that my initial explanation was not
> explicitly clear as to what the desired output is. What I am trying
> to get is a moving absolute deviation between the two sets of numbers.

The phrase "a moving absolute deviation" admits of several
interpretations. I suggest you post the correct answer for some simple
cases or that you be more mathematical in your description (as is
suggested in the Posting Guide.)

set.seed(123)
  X <- sample(-5:5, 10)
  Y <- sample(-5:5, 10);

  [1] -2  2  5  4  1 -5 -3  3 -4  0
  [1]  5 -1  1  4 -5  0 -4  3 -2  2
 > abs( tail(X,9) - head(Y,9) )
[1] 3 6 3 3 0 3 7 7 2

So this is c( abs(X[2] -Y[1]), abs( X[3]-Y[2], .....)

> This is not to be confused with the mean absolute deviation, or the
> median absolute deviation which are both something different and not
> what i am after.

Again. Not a clear description (of what you do do not want), given
that the problem involves two vectors.