[R] Opinion: Why I find factors convenient to use

S Ellison S.Ellison at LGCGroup.com
Mon Aug 20 17:41:16 CEST 2012

>> on the whole, it seems to me that character
>> input gets used as factor data so much of the time when it is
>> used at all that the default stringsAsFactors=TRUE setting
>> seems the more sensible default.
>
> I disagree with this last point. Just think of the number of
> questions to this list about, say, dates.

Mileage on this issue is likely to vary within and between useRs.

For a more than anecdotal answer to the question of whether 'on the whole', character input gets used as factor data, one would have to construct a more careful survey than this.

S Ellison