[R] Inserting superscripts in free-format text line

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Aug 20 21:14:56 CEST 2012

On Aug 20, 2012, at 11:35 AM, Brian Kriegler wrote:

> I would like to insert a superscript in a body of text (e.g., a
> title or axis label), where the superscript is not necessarily at
> the end of the text.  For example, suppose a title read, "This is a
> Test^1 of the Emergency Broadcast System" where there is a
> superscript 1 after the word Test.
>
> As a starting point for what I'm trying to do, the following shows a
> superscript:
> x=10
> plot(x)
> text(x=1, y=12, expression("test"^1)

Not on my device. No closing paren.

Why not:

plot(1:10)
text(x=5, y=4.5, expression(test^1) )

You do not need quotes in plotmath expressions unless they are
reserved plotmath function names. People reach for paste() in far too
many situations.

> But, the following does not show a superscript:
> x=10
> plot(x)
> text(x=1, y=11, paste("This is a", expression("test"^1), "of the
> Emergency Broadcast System.")

And why not:

  expression(This~is~a~test^1~of~the~Emergency~Broadcast~System.)

--

David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA