[R] What makes R different from other programming languages?

Alexandre Aguiar asaguiar at spsconsultoria.com
Tue Aug 21 13:20:16 CEST 2012

cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu escreveu:
>"This rather unlikely linguistic cocktail would probably never have
>been prepared by computer scientists, yet the language has become
>surprisingly popular."

A linguist that is a good friend once observed that language is both expression and a modeller of how we think. No matter in which extent each one is true, the 'expression' property has some compelling evidence in support: it has been demonstrated that human babies generate the same words and phonemes without regard to the culture of their parents, that is, everywhere babies generate a common babies' language.

In everyday life, each profession has its technical jargon and even a peculiar slang (not to mention the set of jokes :-) ). In computing, it is remarkable that different languages developed by the same person are extremely similar: Nicklaus Wirth's Pascal and Modula 2 have almost identical syntax, use the same function naming and  calling conventions, etc.

--

Alexandre Aguiar, MD SCT
SPS Consultoria

--
Sent from my tablet. Please, excuse my brevity.
Enviado do tablet. Por favor, perdoe a brevidade.