[R] adding tick labels to tileplot()

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Aug 23 23:55:49 CEST 2012

On Aug 23, 2012, at 2:19 PM, Ryan Flaherty wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> I am far from fluent in R and need some help polishing up a figure I
> am
> trying to create. I wish to make a "tileplot" (from package
> extraLattice)

I'm guessing that you meant to write: latticeExtra

> where the x axis is time (months; may - sept) and the y axis is space
> (fishery management zones). Here is my code so far:
>
> tileplot(effort~month_num*-area_num,mae,col.regions=topo.colors(100),
>                border = "black",
>               pch = ifelse(is.na(mae$effort), 4, 21),
>               panel = function(...){
>               panel.fill("black")
>               panel.voronoi(...)
>               })

The help page for xyplot has information about the scales argument
which is what you should constructing when you want to modify the plot
axis annotation in lattice functions.

perhaps something like scales=list(
                                 x=list(at=1:5, labels=c('May' ,
'June','July','August','September') ),
                                 y=list(at=(-8):-1,
labels=c('T','N','C','B','KC','FB','SF','MO'))
                                   )

> This produces axis that looks something like (except with colored
> tiles):
>
> -1
> -2
> -3
> -4
> -5
> -6
> -7
> -8
>
>     5  6  7  8  9
>
> But I'm hoping to have tick labels that look like:

> KC
> FB
> SF
> MO
>        May  June  July  August September
>
> Thanks in advance for any insight.

You can thank us by posting in plain text next time.
-
David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA