[R] elevation map with R

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 00:00:22 CEST 2012

There are many ways to do this in R, check out the Spatial Task View
on CRAN. The starting point will depend on the data source, but the
raster package is probably the best place to start.

The USGS provides elevation data for the U.S.: http://ned.usgs.gov/

Files from that source can be read by raster and/or rgdal, but the
task view will provide an overview of what is available.

There is also the R-Sig-Geo mailing list dedicated to this kind of topic.

Cheers, Mike.