[R] corrgram

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Tue Aug 28 21:12:02 CEST 2012

Hello,

You should say which package you are getting 'corrgram' from. I'll
assume it's from package corrgram.

The answer to your question is not in the help page but part of it is,
it says it calls function 'col.corrgram'.
And R is open source so a quick look at the package *.R sources (only
one file, to make it simpler) shows that 'col.corrgram' uses the color
interpolation function colorRampPalette() from recomended package
grDevices with argument 'colors' set to

c("red","salmon","white","royalblue","navy")

In fact, 'col.corrgram' is a one liner, that creates a color palette
with number of colors equal to 'ncol '.
The functions that call 'col.corrgram' always set ncol <- 14 prior to
creating the palette, so what you have is the interval [-1, 1] mapped to
a set of 14 colors ranging from red to navy blue.

The manual does say that if users wants to, they can change
'col.corrgram'. It seems to be the best way of changing 'corrgram'
default set of colors. The other one is to change the setting of 'ncol'
in three different places.

Have fun.

Rui Barradas