[R] variable scope

Sam Steingold sds at gnu.org
Wed Aug 29 06:42:30 CEST 2012

> * R. Michael Weylandt <zvpunry.jrlynaqg at tznvy.pbz> [2012-08-28 17:30:06 -0500]:
>
>> In my experience, the one point I've needed it was after freeing
>> multiple very large objects when hitting memory limits.

that's what I am doing.

>> Rewriting that code to use functions rather than as one long
>> imperative slog was a real performance win.

interesting.

> Note that according to R FAQ 3.3.3, this is actually something
> intentionally different from S(+) so someone must have decided it was
> important at one point. Without any reference, I'd imagine this
> matches scheme, as most R scoping rules do.

People who compare R to scheme are flattering R.  :-)
R might be a step in the right direction from S, but no cigar yet.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) X 11.0.11103000
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://honestreporting.com http://memri.org