[R] Fitting binomial lmer-model, high deviance and low logLik

rahul143 rk204885 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 18:00:17 CET 2012

Hello

I have a problem when fitting a mixed generalised linear model with the
lmer-function in the Matrix package, version 0.98-7. I have a respons
variable (sfox) that is 1 or 0, whether a roe deer fawn is killed or not
by red fox. This is expected to be related to e.g. the density of red
fox (roefoxratio) or other variables. In addition, we account for family
effects by adding the mother (fam) of the fawns as random factor. I want
to use AIC to select the best model (if no other model selection
criterias are suggested).

the syntax looks like this:
 > mod <- lmer(sfox ~ roefoxratio + (1|fam), data=manu2, family=binomial)

The output looks ok, except that the deviance is extremely high
(1.798e+308).

 > mod
Generalized linear mixed model fit using PQL
Formula: sfox ~ roefoxratio + (1 | fam)
    Data: manu2
  Family: binomial(logit link)
            AIC           BIC         logLik      deviance
  1.797693e+308 1.797693e+308 -8.988466e+307 1.797693e+308
Random effects:
      Groups        Name    Variance    Std.Dev.
         fam (Intercept)      17.149      4.1412
# of obs: 128, groups: fam, 58

Estimated scale (compare to 1)  0.5940245

-----
   TO GET MORE DETAILS CLICK HERE