[R] Calling a .bat to set environment variables and subsequent .exe execution from within R

Ludwig Hilger l.hilger at ku.de
Sun Dec 23 11:14:53 CET 2012

Dear list,

I have found a thread dealing with similar problems with a Mac, but somehow
I cannot get it to work and the problem is slightly different:
I am using the shell() command to execute a program from within R. The
problem is that I need to execute SDKShell.bat file first that sets the
environment variables for the program ogr2ogr.exe:

shell(cmd = "C:\\GDAL_1.9.2_MAPSERVER_6.2.0\\SDKShell_original.bat")
Setting environment for using the GDAL and MapServer tools.
Hiding the OCI plugin library.
D:\R_working_directory\Koordinatenproblem>> source(.trPaths[5], echo=TRUE,
max.deparse.length=150)

shell( cmd="ogr2ogr -s_srs EPSG:31254 -t_srs EPSG:25832
D:\\R_working_directory\\Koordinatenproblem\\Fliessgewaesser_25832.shp
D:\\R_working_directory\\Koordinatenproblem\\Fliessgewaesser.shp", invisible
= FALSE,
intern = TRUE )
 shell(cmd="ogr2ogr -s_srs EPSG:31254 -t_srs EPSG:25832
D:\\R_working_directory\\Koordinatenproblem\\Fliessgewaesser_25832.shp
D:\\R_working_director ..." ... [TRUNCATED]
[1] "Der Befehl \"ogr2ogr\" ist entweder falsch geschrieben oder" "konnte
nicht gefunden werden."
attr(,"status")
[1] 1
Warnmeldung:
Ausführung von Kommando 'C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c ogr2ogr -s_srs
EPSG:31254 -t_srs EPSG:25832
D:\R_working_directory\Koordinatenproblem\Fliessgewaesser_25832.shp
D:\R_working_directory\Koordinatenproblem\Fliessgewaesser.shp' ergab Status
1

The problem is that he cmd seems to "forget" the result of the command
before, i.e. the cmd is shut between different calls by shell()!? As a
result I cannot execute ogr2ogr.exe. Is there an argument or sth. to work in
the same cmd-session using subsequent shell() executions from R?

Thank you, best regards and have a nice Christmas,
Ludwig

ps: I have also tried to rewrite the .bat to set the environment variables
permanently, but I did not manage that either.

-----
Dipl. Geogr. Ludwig Hilger
Wiss. MA
Lehrstuhl für Physische Geographie
Katholische Universität Eichstätt-Ingolstadt
Ostenstraße 18
85072 Eichstätt