[R] protentially serious R error

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 02:18:47 CET 2012

Cutting and pasting from the R posting guide -- I think this advice
has special force when responding to FAQ 7.31 questions (I've seen
several within the last few days, and at least two were answered by
three different people:

When responding to a very simple question, use the following algorithm:

    compose your response
    type 4*runif(1) at the R prompt, and wait this many hours
    check for new posts to R-help; if no similar suggestion, post your response

(This is partly in jest, but if you know immediately why it is suggested, you
probably should use it! Also, it's a nice idea to replace 4 by the number of
years you have been using R or S-plus.)