[R] screen if a value is within range

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Dec 1 18:07:14 CET 2012

On Dec 1, 2012, at 9:55 AM, R. Michael Weylandt wrote:

> 15 < a & a < 20
>
> Wrap it in a function if you like:
>
> in_interval <- function(x, interval){
>   stopifnot(length(interval) == 2L)
>   interval[1] < x & x < interval[2]
> }
>
> in_interval(a, c(15, 20))

Could just use the findInterval function:

findInterval(x, c(15,20) ) == 1

findInterval returns a numeric vector indicating which bin(s) the
argument vector element(s) fall(s) into. Items below the lower bound
get a zero which means if the result is used as an index the there
will be no item chosen for that value. Items above the maximal
boundary get a value of n+1 where n is the number of bins. (Very
useful function.)

--
David.