[R] fitting a gamma frailty model (coxph)

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Wed Dec 5 20:35:20 CET 2012

I looked at your data:
 > table(x, cluster)
      1  2  3  4  5  6
   0  0 48  0 48 48  0
   1 48  0 48  0  0 48

Your covariate "x" is perfectly predicted by the cluster variable.
If you fit a fixed effects model:
   coxph(Surv(time, event) ~ factor(cluster) +x)

then the "x" variable is declared redundant.  When the variance of the random effect is
sufficiently large, the same happens in the gamma model when the variance is sufficiently
large.  Your model approaches this limit, and the solution fails.  As mentioned in the
manual page, the coxme function is now preferred.

Last, your particular error message is caused by an invalid value for "sparse".  I'll add
a check to the program.
You likely want "sparse=10" to force non-sparse computation.

Terry Therneau