[R] catching errors in RNetCDF

Jannis bt_jannis at yahoo.de
Thu Dec 6 14:26:50 CET 2012

Thanks Michael and Pascal for your replies,

sorry if I did not formulate my post precisely enough. My example code
was meant to produce an error to demonstrate the behaviour that I
interpretet as "not causing real R errors". Also without the try()
funtion around it to me it seems that just some message is printed
without R recognising this as an error. If this line of code would be
one line in a long script, the following lines would still be executed
and debugging mechanisms like options(error=dump.frames) are not
invoked. It is certainly possible to debug this error, it is just really
hard to trace it down if it happens in long and complicated functions.

In case there is an easy fix for this, I am happy to learn about it.
Otherwise this may be due to the way that RNetCDF handles these errors
and harder/impossible to fix. In this case I would consider this post
closed. I had some contact with the author of the package in the
meantime. In case my first post reads as a critique to the author I
would like to apologize. It is clear to me that packages are written
voluntarily and with a lot of enthusiasm for the open source idea so I
certainly do not want to critisise anyone for sharing his code!

Thanks a lot
Jannis