[R] Tools for Building Packages (Fedora)

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue Dec 11 17:45:40 CET 2012

On Dec 11, 2012, at 9:59 AM, Tony Paredes <tgalois at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to install the tools to build packages under Fedora (17), and
> have little luck finding anything useful using Google. I wanted to ask if
> there is any documentation associated with this issue; a link will be very
> useful.
>
> Thank you very much.

As an FYI, there is a dedicated R-SIG list for Fedora that you should subscribe and post to instead of here relative to Fedora specific issues. More information is available at:

For quick references, presuming that you are not looking to build RPMs and primarily build 'source' packages for R, such as would be available on CRAN, you should start by reviewing The R Installation and Administration Manual:

  http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html

perhaps specifically Appendix A, especially if you might be including C/C++/FORTRAN code in your package, and the Writing R Extensions Manual:

  http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-exts.html

Both contain relevant information regarding various tools that you may need and that may not be a part of a typical Fedora install these days.

If you get to the point where you have R package development questions that are not really Fedora specific, those should be posted to the R-Devel list: