[R] Is there a package to output midi files for sonification of data

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 21:23:02 CET 2012

On 12-12-27 03:04 PM, Greg Hooper wrote:
> thanks again Mehmet - the midicsv utility is in C (of which I am
> ignorant). I will have a look at that to see if I can write a native R
> version. It only has to do midi_in and midi_out, the rest can be left up
> to R. That will take me ages, but I can just use the utility externally
> for the moment
>
> Greg

   I wouldn't bother to try to write a native R version.  Since  getting
R to talk to compiled C code, is pretty easy, if I wanted to integrate
it more closely into R I would take the C code and figure out how I
could integrate it into an R package as compiled code with a thin R
wrapper around it. Since the code "license" is "public domain", you
could even redistribute the package freely. But if it's just for
personal use, and you don't need it to be incredibly slick, using it
externally (via system()) seems perfectly sensible.