[R] Starting with R

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Sun Dec 30 17:23:24 CET 2012

Efficiency of learning materials depends on your background and learning style. If you have any background at all in using software, the Introduction to R document that is supplied with R is quite good. There is also a very useful document on getting data in and out of R. There is a list of R books on the CRAN website you can refer to.

Contributed packages (typically loaded using the "library" function) have their own documentation, and in some cases have their own mailing lists. No central book or document can be relied on to steer you to the perfect packages for your needs, so learn to use the ? shortcut in R, Google, RSiteSearch(), or the sos package to look for supporting functionality.

You can also learn quite a bit by lurking on this list and reading answers to other people's questions.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing