[R] Starting with R

John Kane jrkrideau at inbox.com
Sun Dec 30 18:23:47 CET 2012

It is very dependent on your background and what you  are planning to do. Because R is a tool that seems to be used by everyone from linguists to biochemists and everyone has their special interest it is often best to just google for what  you are looking for.

Here aresome  sources that I find are helpful.

R FOR SAS AND SPSS USERS
www.et.bs.ehu.es/~etptupaf/pub/R/RforSAS&SPSSusers.pdf

Tutorial
http://www.unt.edu/rss/class/Jon/R_SC/

http://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/google-r-style.html

Short R reference sheet
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8NgE2q8ITzTQnhPTFVjVXlOaHM/edit?pli=1

There are a number of short articles and even some books available on CRAN. Click on OTHER.

The "Introduction to R" is extremely useful and should be read but I'd suggest that it is not the first document you read.  It can be a bit overwhelming at first.

Also to use R effiiently you need a good editor or IDE.
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/Best-R-text-editors-td903450.html

Just reading this list can be incredibly informative and when you are really stuck ask a question here but please read https://github.com/hadley/devtools/wiki/Reproducibility before asking it.    This makes helping you much easier and you don't get nasty remarks thrown at you.

Welcome to the R world

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada