[R] Post-hoc test on ANCOVA

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Feb 1 23:25:46 CET 2012

On Feb 1, 2012, at 4:34 PM, Mark Na wrote:

> Dear R-helpers,
>
> I have an ANCOVA with a significant effect of the factor, which has
> three levels. I wish to determine which of the levels are different
> from each other but, because my model was fitted with lm(), I cannot
> use TukeyHSD.
>
> For some reason, I get different results (no significant effect of the
> factor) when I fit the model using aov()

... which is just a wrapper to "lm" ...'

> so, for the moment, I am
> using lm().

Doesn't that seem to violate a common sense rule? You should not pick
a test (or in this test one particular formulation to the same
function) just because it gives you the answer you want, but rather
because it is appropriate for your data situation.

> Could anyone point me to a test and associated R function that will
> work on a fitted lm() or glm()?

Given what little you have said about your design and data analysis
program, and what sort of heuristics you seem to use for choosing your
tests, it seems that it might be unwise to give suggestions.

--
David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT