[R] Stuck with levels while reassigning dataframe colnames?

jjap jean.plamondon at fpinnovations.ca
Thu Feb 2 04:21:28 CET 2012

Dear users,
I am importing a csv file whose first row is a single value that I need to
capture in a variable.
  infile<-file.choose()
  in<-read.csv( infile, header=FALSE)
  single.value<-as.character(in[1,1])  # fine

Now I need to take rows 3 and on as the data
  df<-in[3:dim(in)[1],]

But row 2 contains what I want as header of df.
  colnames(df)<-in[2,]
This gets a series of numbers (characters) "2" "5" "3" "11" instead of:
   "CatA" "Time" etc.
I suspect this has something to do with levels, but I cannot seem to find a
way to get the proper names.
Any help or hint is appreciated.