[R] Troubles with stemming (tm + Snowball packages) under MacOS

Zhou Zhou zz2111 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 2 16:36:50 CET 2012

The Sys.setenv(NOAWT=TRUE)  code indeed solved my problem which was excatly
what Julien described.

The key is you have to deactivate AWT BEFORE loading RWeka/Snowball. If I do
so it will fire a few warning messages but that should not affect anything.
I am running the lsa package which requires RWeka and Snowball. My R version
is 2.14.1, under Mac OS X 10.6.8. My code snippet as below:

> dtm<-textmatrix(ldir,minWordLength=1,stopwords=stopwords_en,stemming=TRUE,language="english")
Refreshing GOE props...
---Registering Weka Editors---
Trying to add database driver (JDBC): RmiJdbc.RJDriver - Warning, not in
CLASSPATH?
Trying to add database driver (JDBC): jdbc.idbDriver - Warning, not in
CLASSPATH?
Trying to add database driver (JDBC): org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver - Warning, not
in CLASSPATH?
Trying to add database driver (JDBC): com.mckoi.JDBCDriver - Warning, not in
CLASSPATH?
Trying to add database driver (JDBC): org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver - Warning, not
in CLASSPATH?
[KnowledgeFlow] Loading properties and plugins...
[KnowledgeFlow] Initializing KF...

Julien Velcin wrote