[R] Vertical string with horizontal letters

538280 at gmail.com 538280 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 19:21:57 CET 2012

There are only a few graphics devices that honor the 'crt' setting to
rotate characters differently from the string rotation (postscript is
the only one I know of, and then not always).

For your specific case you could do something like:

> text(1,1, paste( unlist(strsplit('output','')), collapse='\n'), adj=c(0,1))

You could use gsub instead of the paste and strsplit, but it adds an
extra line feed at the beginning and end, or use:
gsub('(?<=.)(?=.)','\n','output', perl=TRUE)

You may also want to play around a little with the adj=c(0,1) to get
the positioning that you want.