[R] X11 error while plotting in R on OSX

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Sat Feb 4 02:02:54 CET 2012

I can't reproduce your error in R 2.14.1 on an OSX 10.6.8 box.

However, your example doesn't start with a graphics device specification.
Did you start the graphics device with x11() before your first plot()
command?

If by "R on a terminal" you mean in Terminal.app, then you wouldn't
normally get an X11() window:

> plot( c(.1,.3,.4), ylim=c(0,1))
> dev.list()
quartz
     2

Did you start R, for example, in an xterm shell within an X windows
context?
If so, you could try starting the graphics device with  x11(type='Xlib')
to see if it behaves better.

Finally, why are you using MacPorts? The binary download for CRAN should
work fine.

You should ask your question on r-sig-mac, although you might not get much
support for problems with the MacPorts version of R. I don't know.

-Don

--
Don MacQueen

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory