[R] Simulating from "matrix variate normal distribution"

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Sat Feb 4 14:56:21 CET 2012

I think this should be easy to write a function doing this.

Assume that Y is matrix normal with mean matrix mu and row and column
dispersion matrices Sigma and Gamma, respectively.

Isn't Y = AZB + mu, where Z is a matrix of independent N(0, 1)'s, A is
the square root matrix of Sigma (the dispersion matrix of the rows) and
B is the square root matrix of Gamma. It should be easy to write this
function in R.

Again, the density should be easy to write. But it is not clear what
you mean by a quantile function (of a matrix variate distribution). A
cdf is going to be a lot harder, but still doable.

Hope this helps!

best wishes,
Ranjan