[R] Simple lm/regression question

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Mon Feb 6 10:57:23 CET 2012

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012, James Annan wrote:

> I am trying to use lm for a simple linear fit with weights. The results
> I get from IDL (which I am more familiar with) seem correct and
> intuitive, but the "lm" function in R gives outputs that seem strange to
> me.
>
> Unweighted case:
>
>> x<-1:4
>> y<-(1:4)^2
>> summary(lm(y~x))
>
> Call:
> lm(formula = y ~ x)
>
> Residuals:
> 1  2  3  4
> 1 -1 -1  1
>
> Coefficients:
>            Estimate Std. Error t value Pr(>|t|)
> (Intercept)  -5.0000     1.7321  -2.887   0.1020
> x             5.0000     0.6325   7.906   0.0156 *
>
> So far, so good - IDL does much the same:
>
> IDL> vec=linfit(x,y,sigma=sig)
> IDL> print,vec,sig
>     -5.00000      5.00000
>      1.73205     0.632456
>
> Now, if the dependent variable has known (measurement) uncertainties (10,
> say) then it is appropriate to use weights defined as the inverse of the
> variances, right?

If you think that in y = x'b + e the error has

E(e^2) = sigma^2 * w

then you should use

weights = 1/w

in R because that is how the weights enter the objective function

sum 1/w (y - x'b)^2

>> summary(lm(y~x,weights=c(.01,.01,.01,.01)))
>
> Call:
> lm(formula = y ~ x, weights = c(0.01, 0.01, 0.01, 0.01))
>
> Residuals:
>   1    2    3    4
> 0.1 -0.1 -0.1  0.1
>
> Coefficients:
>            Estimate Std. Error t value Pr(>|t|)
> (Intercept)  -5.0000     1.7321  -2.887   0.1020
> x             5.0000     0.6325   7.906   0.0156 *
>
> But here the *residuals* have changed and are no longer the actual
> response minus fitted values. (They seem to be scaled by the sqrt of the
> weights).

The summary() shows under "Residuals" the contributions to the objective
function, i.e. sqrt(1/w) (y - x'b) in the notation above.

However, by using the residuals extractor function you can get the
unweighted residuals:

residuals(lm(y~x,weights=c(.01,.01,.01,.01)))

> The uncertainties on the parameter estimates, however, have
> *not* changed, which seems very odd to me.

lm() interprets the weights as precision weights, not as case weights.

Thus, the scaling in the variances is done by the number of (non-zero)
weights, not by the sum of weights.

> The behaviour of IDL is rather different and intuitive to me:
>
> IDL> vec=linfit(x,y,sigma=sig,measure_errors=[1,1,1,1])
> IDL> print,vec,sig
>     -5.00000      5.00000
>      1.22474     0.447214
>
> IDL> vec=linfit(x,y,sigma=sig,measure_errors=[10,10,10,10])
> IDL> print,vec,sig
>     -5.00000      5.00000
>      12.2474      4.47214

This appears to use sandwich standard errors. If you load the sandwich and
lmtest package you can do

coeftest(m, vcov = sandwich)

where 'm' is the fitted lm object.

Hope that helps,