[R] UTF8

Norma norma_neszi at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 17:18:26 CET 2012

As far as I can see it, those are two problems. The "default locale" and the
language problem. I have exactly the same, I am using Mac OSX 10.6.8.

I have also tried installation of packages. When installing a package I get
a related error message:

*tar: Failed to set default locale*

if I enter
* Sys.getlocale()*
the results is
*[1]="C"*

so, I guess I have to tell R that the default system disk it shall work with
is "Macintosh HD" ... but how do I do that?

Additionally I have this language/ASCII problem, and the help suggested by
the R Cran Project (to enter

 *defaults write org.R-project.R force.LANG 'en_US'.UTF-8*)

does not work. I get the message

*Error: unexpected symbol in "defaults write"*

I am new to R and just installed it onto my computer, after a basic training
course ... maybe someone could help us?
Thank you,
Norma