[R] Version control (git, mercurial) for R packages

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 09:43:39 CET 2012

On 09/02/12 00:01, Peter Langfelder wrote:
> Hi all, in particular package developers,
>
> I'm exploring using a version control system to keep better track
> of changes to the packages I maintain. I'm leaning towards git
> (although mercurial also looks good) but am not sure what is the
> best way to set up the repository. It seems I can't set the
> repository directly within the R package main directory, since it
> will be incompatible with the standard package structure. I can set
> the repository in the directory that contains my R packages, but
> then I have a single repository for all of my packages, which is
> not ideal.

Git is nice - but if you ar looking for simplicity in usage for R
packages, I guess r-forge and rforge are the easiest to use.

But I would be interested in the workflow when using github as the
main VCS.

> Of course, I could add one extra layer of directory structure (for
> example, if a package foo sit in directory RPackages/foo I could
> move it to directory RPackages/foo/foo and set the repository in
> RPackages/foo) but this seems roundabout and inelegant...
>
> I'd be grateful for any suggestions/pointers.

I might be missing something here, but I am using r-forge
(http://r-forge.r-project.org/) for exactly that. There is also rforge
(http://www.rforge.net/) and some packages are on github.

My folder looks as follow:

- -local name for the package (selected folders / fiiles under VC)
  +--pkg (under VC)
  +--www (under VC)
  +--other fiolders (not under VC)

If a project gets registered at r-forge, you can check it out and you
have all the relevant info in a README file - don't know about rforge.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Rainer

> Thanks,