[R] Version control (git, mercurial) for R packages

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 09:59:16 CET 2012

On 09/02/12 00:33, Tom Roche wrote:

> Peter Langfelder Thu Feb 9 00:01:31 CET 2012
>> I'm exploring using a version control system
>
> +1! welcome to the new millenium :-)
>
>> to keep better track of changes to the [R] packages I maintain.
>> I'm leaning towards git
>
> I like 'git' too, but one thing to consider (though keep in mind
> that I'm new to R, so I Could Be Wrong): R-forge
>
> https://r-forge.r-project.org/
>
> seems to be the "canonical" place to put R packages, and it's svn.
> That can be finessed, e.g.,
>
> http://cameron.bracken.bz/git-with-r-forge

Nice link - but I can't follow it.

Actual Situation:
- - Package on r-forge

Want to have:
- - git (github?) repo as my main cvs and
- - branch (release_x.y.z) for new release for r-forge
- - push branch release_x.y.z to r-forge to do it's magic.

So there are two initial steps:
1) Initial import of r-forge repo to git(hub) (should be easy)
2) setup of local git repo for package (is easy)

and then github is used as VCS

When a release should be done, the following needs to be done:
- - branch on git (easy)
- - push new branch to r-forge (how?)

now how could this be done easily?

can I do this with