[R] GLM - guess the distribution of the response variable

wonko at posteo.de wonko at posteo.de
Thu Feb 9 13:32:55 CET 2012

Dear all,

I have question regarding GLMs:
I have a discrete response variable and a continuous explaining
variable. Like this:
http://www.myimg.de/?img=example1db0f.jpg

I want to use a GLM to investigate. I have to specify the "familiy of
the distribution of the response variable" - or, maybe more precise, the
"family of the distribution of the residuals of the response variable"
(the mean of the response should be explained by the deterministic model
part of the GLM, as far as I understood).

How do I know the distribution family of the response? OK - its needs
to be a discrete distribution, but there are Poisson, Binomial, Neg.
Binomial.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

wonko