[R] Version control (git, mercurial) for R packages

Peter Langfelder peter.langfelder at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 19:08:17 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:46 AM, Gregory Jefferis <jefferis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Peter,
>
> Trying to respond to your original question

Thanks for staying on thread :)

> I have a git repositiory in the root of my packages:
>
> ie
>
> package-foo/.git
> package-foo/R
> package-foo/inst
>
> Running make check in place warns about the presence of binary files, but
> that is the only problem I have found – have you come across another
> problem.

Same warning here. Which made me think that R CMD build will probably
tar up the git repository along with the package, which is not
something I would like to do, and which CRAN people most likely won't
tolerate in a package on CRAN.

 I have also switched to using Hadley Wickham's devtools (+ roxygen
> for docs). Both highly recommended. devtools can build a package and check
> it in a temporary location – this is safer than checking in place and avoids
> that warning.

I'll check that out.

> You can see layouts for Hadley's packages on github e.g. :
>
> https://github.com/hadley/devtools
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Greg.

Thanks for the suggestions. It occurred to me that I can write a short
script that will copy the package minus the git repository into a
temporary location and check or build it there, but I'll look into
devtools as well.

Peter