[R] standard error for lda()

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Feb 10 03:38:29 CET 2012

On Feb 9, 2012, at 6:30 PM, array chip wrote:

> David, thanks for your response, hope this stirs more...
>
> Ok, a simple code:
>
> y<-as.factor(rnorm(100)>0.5)
> x1<-rnorm(100)
> x2<-rnorm(100)
> obj<-glm(y~x1+x2,family=binomial)
> predict(obj,type='response',se.fit=T)
>
> predict(obj,...) will give predicted probabilities in the "fit"
> element; and the associated estimated standard errors in the
> "se.fit" element (if I understand correctly). The predicted
> probability from logistic regression is ultimately a function of y
> and thus a standard error of it should be able to be computed. So
> one of my questions is whether we can use normal approximation to
> construct 95% CI for the predicted probabilities using standard
> errors, because I am not sure if probabilities would follow normal
> distribution?

Wouldn't it be a binomial distribution if you're dealing with
classification.

> Now, if we try lda():
>
> library(MASS)
> obj2<-lda(y~x1+x2)
> predict(obj2)
>
> where predict(obj2) produces posterior probabilities, the predicted
> class, etc. My question is whether it's possible to produce standard
> errors for these posterior probabilities?

The heuristic I use in situations like this: If the authors didn't
think this was a desirable feature, they probably had sensible reasons
for _not_ including it (or they decided that another method, such as
logistic regression, was better). I cannot think of a good metric for
probability along the line perpendicular to the "line of maximal
discrimination" for which I confess I cannot remember the accepted
name. If I were asked to come up with an estimate I would probably
revert to a bootstrap strategy.