[R] Puzzling... puzzling... puzzling...

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Mon Feb 13 20:26:47 CET 2012

Replace the syntax List$Name with List[["Name"]]
and see if things work better.

'[[' does not do the partial matching that '$' does.
E.g.,
   x <- list(AB=10, BC=20, CD=30)
   x$A # returns 10 because "A" is the initial part of exactly one name in x, "AB"
   x[["A"]] # returns NULL

However, if you have
   y <- list(AB=1, AC=2, AD=3)
then y$A will return NULL because there is not a unique partial
match to "A" among the names of y.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com