[R] execute array of functions

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue Feb 14 21:06:23 CET 2012

Not sure the replies you received make it clear, but the key point is
that functions are first class objects in R like any other objects
(vectors, lists, data frames) and can be assigned, collected into
structures, indexed, etc. in the usual way. Further, if the value of
any R expression is a function object, it can be called in the usual
way on an argument list by:

Some R_Expression(comma separated argument list)

e.g.
> {y <-function(x) sin(x)+10} (pi/2) ## pi is a known named constant in R
11

Your initial confusion below actually has nothing to do with this: you
have confused unquoted names of objects in R with quoted character
strings. So, e.g.

x <- 1:10
assigns a sequence of numeric values to the name x, which essentially
points to where those values are stored in memory.

typing
at the command line would print the values (by default)

typing
>"x"
prints the character string "x"

-- Bert