[R] Color cells of a matrix as in Excel

Kenneth Frost kfrost at wisc.edu
Wed Feb 15 00:30:35 CET 2012

Hi, John-
Sorry if my last email was not clear.  In R I imagine you having two matrices. One with the raw values and one with values scaled or standardized by column. The matrix with the values scaled by column is used to make the heatmap (i.e. color the image) and the matrix with the raw values is then overlaid on the heatmap. The details of the image or heatmap functions escape me as I have not worked with them for several years. Without doing this myself (and without a lot of time to try it out), I cannot speak for its difficulty, although I don't imagine it being too tedious. It is likely that others will have good ideas and I have copied this back to the list to hopefully find out...
Ken