[R] how to test the random factor effect in lme

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Feb 15 03:28:00 CET 2012

On Feb 14, 2012, at 5:36 PM, Xiang Gao wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am working on a Nested one-way ANOVA. I don't know how to implement
> R code to test the significance of the random factor

Have you read what the unofficial Mixed Model FAQ says about testing
for significance on random effects?

http://glmm.wikidot.com/faq

> My R code so far can only test the fixed factor :

That may be the intent of the authors. They may want to make it
sufficiently  difficult so that an adequate barrier prevents the
unwary from taking some "easy way out". You probably need to describe
your study (assuming this is not an assigned homework exercise) in
sufficient scientific detail and do so on the mixed-models mailing list.

--
David.