[R] Is there a function for scatter3d with Categorical responses?

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Thu Feb 16 14:38:06 CET 2012

Hello,

I'm working with a series (30+)  of hydrologic metrics and 10 vegetation
communities and I need to determine which of the metrics provide the best
separability for each of the vegetation communities.  The hydrologic
metrics are highly correlated, therefore the need to reduce the number of
them considered is critically important.

I've been looking at the scatter3d function in the car package as a tool
that offers exceptionally useful visualizations.

As an example, the options to run this function as follows is very much
what I'm after but with a categorical response instead of a continuous one

library(car)
library(rgl)
scatter3d(prestige ~ income + education | type , surface=FALSE,
ellipsoid=TRUE, revolutions=3, data=Duncan)

Using my data I'd like to use the function as follows:

scatter3d(CSSS$VegtypeID ~ CSSS$MeanAnnualDepth + CSSS$Hydroperiod +
CSSS$MedianWet, ellipsoid=TRUE, revolutions=3, data=CSSS)

or:

scatter3d(CSSS$DA7Depth ~ CSSS$MeanAnnualDepth + CSSS$Hydroperiod +
CSSS$MedianWet | type=CSSS$VegtypeID,  ellipsoid=TRUE, revolutions=3,
data=CSSS)

If you know of a different function / package combination that can handle
this approach I'd really like to learn about it. The ellipsoid is
exceptionally valuable and I'm really interested in a function that offers
that option.

Thanks
Steve

Steve Friedman Ph. D.
Ecologist  / Spatial Statistical Analyst
Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Park
950 N Krome Ave (3rd Floor)
Homestead, Florida 33034

Steve_Friedman at nps.gov
Office (305) 224 - 4282