[R] ACM Software Copyright and License Agreement

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 16 21:07:50 CET 2012

On 16-02-2012, at 12:31, Hans W Borchers wrote:

> ACM Software Copyright and License Agreement
>
> I have often seen the use of routines from the ACM Collected Algorithms, i.e.
> <netlib.org/toms/> (CALGO, or Trans. On Math. Software, TOMS), in Open Source
> programs, maybe also in some R packages --- and sometimes these programs are
> distributed under the GPL license, sometimes under proprietary licenses, e.g.
> in Scilab.
>
> The use of these CALGO programs is subject to the ACM Software Copyright and
> License Agreement <www.acm.org/publications/policies/softwarecrnotice> which
> includes the following paragraph:
>
>    **Commercial Use**
>    Any User wishing to make a commercial use of the Software must contact
>    ACM at permissions at acm.org to arrange an appropriate license. Commercial
>    use includes
>    (1) integrating or incorporating all or part of the source code into a
>    product for sale or license by, or on behalf of, User to third parties, or
>    (2) distribution of the binary or source code to third parties for use
>    with a commercial product sold or licensed by, or on behalf of, User.

In addition there is item 4 in the section  **Noncommercial use**

"User may modify the Software and distribute that modified work to third parties provided that: (a) if posted separately, it clearly acknowledges that it contains material copyrighted by ACM (b) no charge is associated with such copies, (c) User agrees to notify ACM and the Author(s) of the distribution, and (d) User clearly notifies secondary users that such modified work is not the original Software."

For nleqslv I have not complied with item (c) . H'm.

Berend