[R] R's list data structure

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Sat Feb 18 01:23:56 CET 2012

FWIW:

Lists are a fundamental, universal, recursive data structure. All
other data structures (i.e. r.e. sets) can be represented as lists.
Indeed, one of the earliest "high level" (non-machine instructions)
computer languages, McCarthy's LISP = List Processing, is based on
lists. R was designed to be LISP-like (= a functional programming
language) in some fundamentals ways. So it is no surprise that lists
are widely used within R.

Cheers,
Bert