[R] Counting value changes

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 01:33:12 CET 2012

Just for clarity, I changed your x a bit - in your version, the 0-1 and 1-0
change occurred the same number of times.

If all your values are 0 and 1, this will work:

> x <- c(0,1,0,1,0,0,0,1,1,1)
> table(diff(x))

-1  0  1
 2  4  3
> sum(diff(x) == 1)
[1] 3

If other values can occur, it would need some tweaking.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org