[R] How to determine a subset of a binary strings?

Enrico Schumann enricoschumann at yahoo.de
Mon Feb 20 15:07:12 CET 2012

Hi Jing,

I am not sure I got your definition of a "subset" right, but maybe this
helps.

Regards,
Enrico

x <- c(0,0,1)
y <- c(0,1,1)
z <- c(0,1,0)

## is x a 'subset' of y?
isSubset <- function(x, y) {
     x <- as.logical(x)
     y <- as.logical(y)
     all(y[x] == TRUE)
}

isSubset(x, y)
isSubset(z, y)
isSubset(x, z)

## create all subsets
exampleVec <- c(0,1,1,0,1)
fun <- function(t)
     if (t) 0:1 else 0
expand.grid(lapply(as.list(exampleVec), fun))

Am 20.02.2012 14:15, schrieb jing tang:
> Hi,
>
> I need some neat ways of determing a subset of binary strings. For example,
> x=c(0,0,1), y=c(0,1,1), z=c(0,1,0). So x is a subset of y and z is also a
> subset of y, but x is not a subset of z.
>
> I tried to search R functions and packages but no hits. Any ideas?
>

> Best,
>
> Jing
>

> --
>
> Jing Tang, PhD
>
> Senior Researcher
>
> Finnish Institute of Molecular Medicine (FIMM)
>
> FI-00014 University of Helsinki
>
> Finland
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Enrico Schumann