[R] Disabling shell access through system() possible?

lists at mwoywod.de lists at mwoywod.de
Mon Feb 20 18:17:23 CET 2012

Hi! I'm deploying R behind a web-app on a linux-server and I don't want
to grant the users shell access through the system() function for
security reasons.

Is there any safe way to deny a user access to the function?

I tried
a) alter the function in the R-Sources before compiling them. Doesn't
seem to work because system() is apparently needed during the build.
b) Redefine system() in the global Rprofile. Leads to of course to some
warning messages at any session start and feels generally kludgy and
unsafe.

Best Regards
M.W.