[R] Metafor: Moderator variables for each study arm

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Tue Feb 21 11:51:16 CET 2012

Dear Faiz,

in principle, you can include whatever moderators you want in a meta-regression model. A technical issue here is that the two follow-up variables are probably strongly correlated, so this may create issues with the model fitting and it also complicates the interpretation of the results (the notion of: what happens to y when increasing x1 while holding x2 constant is then questionable). Since the dependent variable in meta-analyses is (typically) a measure of a group contrast, it may also be reasonable to use the contrast (i.e., difference) of the follow-up times as a moderator. It all depends on what your question is: Do you believe that the *difference between the two groups* depends on the absolute follow-up time or rather on the difference in follow-up duration between the two groups?

Best,

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology