[R] Using earth.dist function

cmartin fireweed44 at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 21 19:42:18 CET 2012

Hi Everyone,

I am a graduate student who will be using R to do my analysis.  I need to do
a spatial analysis, and the first step is to calculate the geographic
distance between my study sites.  I am hoping to use earth.dist because it
allows for multiple pairwise distances to be calculated at one time.  I have
done a sample calculation, and I seem to have a problem between the steps of
using create.lats and earth.dist.  I've copied the steps I've taken in R
since I am NOT computer literate and have a real problem debugging computer
programming.  Hopefully someone can help.

> create.lats(weatherstations,loc="locality",long="longitude",lat="latitude")
                   longitude latitude
Adra                 -119.58    49.73
Bankier Chain Lake   -120.28    49.70
Chute Lake           -119.53    49.68
Douglas Lake         -120.20    50.16
Hedley               -120.08    49.36
Hedley NP Mine       -120.02    49.37
> data(weatherstations.lats)
Warning message:
In data(weatherstations.lats) : data set ‘weatherstations.lats’ not found
> earth.dist(weatherstations.lats)
Error in earth.dist(weatherstations.lats) :
  object 'weatherstations.lats' not found
> earth.dist(weatherstations)
   1  2  3  4  5
2 NA
3 NA NA
4 NA NA NA
5 NA NA NA NA
6 NA NA NA NA NA
There were 50 or more warnings (use warnings() to see the first 50)

Thanks! Cloe