[R] Multiple lines for each record: how do I handle that

Luca Meyer lucam1968 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 20:49:18 CET 2012

Sure, I am sorry I have not done that in the first place.

The datasets I have looks like:

id <- c(1,1,2,2,2,3)
v1 <- c(NA,1,NA,1,NA,1)
v2 <- as.character(c("yes","","no","","","yes"))
v3 <- as.factor(c(NA,1,NA,NA,3,2))
d0 <- data.frame(id,v1,v2,v3)
d0

What I would need is to derive a dataset that looks like:

id <- c(1,2,3)
v1 <- c(1,1,1)
v2 <- as.character(c("yes","no","yes"))
v3 <- as.factor(c(1,3,2))
d1 <- data.frame(id,v1,v2,v3)
d1

The issue is related to the need to have an automated procedure that reads in the different variable types and aggregates them accordingly as every dataset will be different from the previous in terms of number of variables and records involved.

Thank you,
Luca