[R] Calculating Pseudo R-squared from nlme

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Thu Feb 23 18:42:36 CET 2012

I saw no reply to this yet, so herewith a few comments.

1. Best recommendation: Post to r-sig-mixed-models instead.

Miscellaneous  comments.

R-squared as "an overall summary of the total outcome variability
explained" is practically useless and generally misleading. Why?
Short answer: Because nonlinear models are fundamentally different
(mathematically) from linear models. For example, the basic linear
models concept of "degrees of freedom" (df) is not  immediately
applicable and is certainly NOT simply related to the number of
parameters in the model.

Long Answer: Ask on mixed models list.

I am well aware that much software and lots of non-statistical
literature quote R-squares and "pseudo"-R-squares (at least there is a
qualification) as informative measures of fit for nonlinear models.

As I am now 65, I can be a bit impolite and expect forbearance when I
say: it's all crap. I say this in the same spirit that one would speak
of papers on perpetual motion machines or creationism: it's contrary
to the underlying reality.

And now for the disclaimer: As no one has proclaimed me expert in
chief of anything, others who actually are may point out my egregious
errors (or I certainly hope they will). So long as they have the
mathematics on their side (opinion counts for nothing in the world of
thermodynamics or evolution: entropy always increases and bacteria
eventually evolve resistance), pay attention to them and ignore me.
Age does not guarantee wisdom.

Best,
Bert