[R] Problem Removing Border Lines in Maps Package

jour4life jour4life at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 16:26:29 CET 2012

I'm sorry to ask this silly question so long after you posted this response.
But I have also been trying to do this. What is the option to draw the
outlines the same color as the fill? I'm also using the "spdep" and
"maptools" libraries. I have shapefiles for Mexico (counties and read in the
spatial lines for the states).

This is the code I've been trying to use to plot the map:
plot(mex, col=cols[findInterval(mex$nrr95, brks$brks, all.inside=F)],
border=0)

I know that if I save this plot as a .pdf, the picture will come out fine.
However, the file that is saved comes out to be far too large. This is
probably due to the fact that there are so many counties in the shape file.
And, as the person who asked the original question stated, the resolution of
the pdf is higher and, thus, the picture comes out pretty good.

But, I want to save these maps as picture files. Would I have to put any
other option after the "border=0" option?

Thanks,

Carlos